Speaking at the recent Calgary Comic Expo, Carrie Fisher was asked the inevitable questions about a possible return as Princess Leia in the Star Wars franchise. According to the Calgary Herald, Fisher went out on a limb and revealed, for the first time officially, at least, that she will indeed be returning as everyone’s favourite gold bikini-clad princess.
The Herald reports:
Yes, Carrie Fisher confirmed to a rapt audience at the BMO Centre Saturday afternoon that she will in fact be reprising her most famous role of Princess Leia in a new series of Star Wars films, which will be produced by Disney. She was the first of the original cast members to announce her participation back in March, although apparently jumped her gun. Her publicist said she was joking and that nothing had been confirmed.
However, it seems to be a done deal now. But for fans looking for a sneak-peek of what to expect in the new film, Fisher didn’t offer many juicy details.
I like being bought by Disney, because they never wanted to buy me before,” she said during a talk at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo. “I’m glad they are doing a new movie because they are sending a trainer to my house so I can get in really good shape. So I’m really eating a lot of sugar in advance, as you can see. By the time I really get down to it, I will have eaten everything.”
So, Carrie Fisher is officially on board Episode VII. It’s been a horrendously kept secret by all parties, with George Lucas even more-or-less confirming the return of Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, Star Wars: Episode VII is due for a summer 2015 release.